Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Was My Campaign Irrelevant?

I started my campaign with a presentation at an Alliance for a Better District 6 forum held in late 2005, or early 2006. At that time, I stated that I would run a "symbolic campaign," to highlight issues that I thought needed to be debated. Is a "symbolic campaign" an irrelevant one? The answer is obviously "No." Not only have my ideas influenced the debate, the presentation of my ideas have been borrowed by other candidates and other political organizations supporting particluar candidates.

For instance, there has been some news coverage in the the Chronicle and other places that the candidates are using online video. There is no question that I was the first candidate, back in July, that put up videos on my website. The first video is of me taking a bicycle ride through SoMa, with the message that the streets are fast-moving, inner-city freeways to accomondate commuters. A fellow candidate has a video (and television commercial) of him riding a bicycle. One of the videos shows me having a conversation with Frank Chu about buying the space on the back of his sign for my campaign literature (which I never followed up on). This was back in July of this year. I click on Sfist.com today and see a picture of Frank Chu with another candidates campaign literature on his sign.

Another example: Back in late 2005, I put up my position paper on homelessness. Above the paper is a picture of a sleeping homeless man with the phrase, "He deserves better. Together, we can do better." This language is borrowed almost verbatim and used on a flyer I received, supporting Rob Black, with a picture of a different homeless man.

One thing I am amazed about is how consistent I have been with my campaign message. Another thing I am amazed about is how consistently my positions, language and all have appeared on other people's campaign literature. I'm not the only one. Friends of mine who are following the campaign often call me with a horrified tone and state, "They're stealing your stuff." I have to assure them that I ran a symbolic campaign for the express purpose if influencing the debate. I think I've done that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am one of those horrified people who was disgusted at the theft of your ideas. I think you have done a good job of bringing light to the real issues of the campaign. Black is an obvious one of the most obvious. How can he possibly request votes after taking all of your best stuff? The man cannot think for himself.

On another note, none of them have been tough on crime. Daly is merely giving it a nod with a budget. Money does not equal working on a problem. Oh and Black? I can kick his ass.

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home