Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Crime in the City

I've made no secret of my contempt for the way the city has handled the crime problem. Many people who have lived in the Bay Area all of their lives think that the crime in San Francisco can be equated to any other city. Wrong! Go to Manhattan. Go to Seattle. You will not see what has been allowed to happen here.

To personalize the situation, my car has been broken into and vandalized seven times. The bill for this is now over $2,000. I had a bicycle stripped, and then stolen (the frame was actually inside of my car). I had a self made surfboard stolen from my car as it was parked directly in front of my place (when I lived in the sunset). There is an undergound black market for stolen goods that is allowed to thrive in the City.

Of course, it is violent crime that most concerns the residents of San Francisco. The Examiner came out with the results of a poll today that show that crime is the number one issue on the minds of the City's residents. Two of the three neighborhoods that are most concerned are the Mission and the Tenderloin. Both of these neighborhoods are represented by the Honorable Chris Daly. When the murder rate in the City spiked a little while ago, Supervisor Daly didn't push for more and better policing. Instead, he proposed that the City spend tens of millions of dollars on an 11 member panel of people to study the issue.

Mr. Daly take the wrong approach with crime in this city. Allowing criminals to thrive in the city is not a responsible "progressive" position. It is an abdication of responsibility by our government. Help me tell our government to stop pandering to the monied interests and political issue junkies that dominate their agenda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home